Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Don't ask me, I'm just a girl

I now have documentation in my sticker collection of the "new" Strawberry Shortcake. It's not so much that I object to change per se: I know what was marketable in 1981 may not be marketable now; logos change; products are redesigned. I do get it.

Why though does Strawberry Shortcake have to be so freaking vapid? The only thing she is doing in these stickers is shopping.

"Hey girls! Let's go buy some clothes at the mall!"

"I just LOVE shopping!"

It reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa is disappointed by the new, talking Malibu Stacy doll (based on a "Teen Talk Barbie") who says things like, "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl." And "Let's make cookies for the boys."

"I love my new outfit."

At least Barbie has had a career trajectory. This just makes me ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment