Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bring Back Boynton

So, after my last blog post, I got to wondering: "whatever happened to Sandra Boynton?" 

After all, her classic greeting card and sticker designs were everywhere in the 1980s. 

The combination of cuteness and wry humor is unmistakable:
Cute (l.); wry (r.).

 Cute (l.); wry (r.)

She also combined wry cuteness with the struggle of the modern (wo)man to come to terms with the pressures of Jane Fonda's workout and the cholesterol scare of the time:

(left to right:) cute; food humor; cute; food humor

And if this blog is at least in part about nostalgia, isn't it worth noting that she can also be remembered for a kind of Cathy-style running joke about chocolate that you just don't find anymore?

And I thought, what an inspired blog post title: "whatever happened to Sandra Boynton?"

So I looked her up. Naturally, she has a website. And I realize not only is she going strong, she is timeless. 
I loooooove her dry, self-effacing sense of humor:

Heh.
Look around at her children's books, her autobiography, and the Zazzle store (sadly, there are no stickers for sale) while enjoying her wit and liberal use of fifty-cent words.  I think you will agree with me that it is time to bring back Boynton!!

Cute.

1 comment:

  1. Cathy-style chocolate jokes really are a thing of the 80s! I wonder why they disappeared. Now, I know that you have some Cathy stickers in your collection. Maybe sometime you will show us some of those?

    ReplyDelete