Saturday, November 19, 2011

Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! ACK!

I know the comic strip figure Cathy has been the butt of jokes in recent years, even mocked on Saturday Night Live, but I confess I have always liked Cathy and her creator, Cathy Guisewite.

. 
I'm not sure what this sticker is supposed to mean.

Cathy is best-remembered for obsessing about her weight--and chocolate in particular--in an annoying way.


I know; you read this and you're all like, "really, Cathy? You like chocolate THAT much?"
But going through my sticker collection makes me wonder if we weren't all obsessed with chocolate in the 1980s.

To ponder: was it an obsession with chocolate, or did the 1980s just have an eating disorder? For every sticker featuring something fattening, I also seem to have a sticker expressing anxiety over dieting.



Let's give Cathy a break, here. She was simply reflecting the cultural mores of her era. From a feminist point of view. As long as women are held up to an impossibly high standard of beauty and fitness then we are all doomed to have a complicated relationship with food. 

To return to Boynton:


2 comments:

  1. LOVE this post. I'm baffled by this chocolate thing. Did people not know about chocolate in the 70s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I covet a few of these stickers.

    I think it's funny that Garfield looks slim in the sticker shown compared to how he usually is portrayed.

    ReplyDelete