Saturday, October 1, 2011

Retro stickers

There is a big nostalgia factor in collecting stickers, so I've been thrilled recently to find new stickers being made in the old-school style, that is, full-on 1980s rainbows and unicorns. At the time that I first liked rainbows and unicorns (and let's be honest, I never stopped) it never would have occurred to me that they were an 80s thing, rather than just a girl thing. Maybe they're both? In any event, Mrs. Grossman's sticker company has these lovely rainbow shooting stars:



These (hard-to-photograph) rainbows look like they're right out of a 1983 sticker album:


Sandylion came out with these recently:


And Hallmark with these puffy, sparkly rainbows and rainbow stars:


I guess rainbows for the 21st century have to be sparkly or shiny to sell, while back in the day the ROYGBP sequence was enough. The same sparkle factor apparently goes for unicorns:


Where did I get these?! I can't remember but you can FEEL the sparkle on the stickers.

The other thing that has made me happy is that some old-timey sticker companies are re-issuing classic designs, like this butterfly by Hambly Studios:


Hallmark, which has never been a focus of anyone's collecting interest, but which nevertheless was prolific with its designs in the 1980s, has reissued these super-cute frogs through their "stickeroni" series (available at your neighborhood pharmacy!)



You know you traded these!

No comments:

Post a Comment