Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hello Kitty is ready for Halloween


Halloween is a big, big deal in New England, so it goes without saying that I like to collect Halloween stickers. You know who else is ready for Halloween? Hello Kitty:

 

According to the Sanrio web site, Hello Kitty lives in the suburbs of London. Who knew?! Despite this, she is evidently very into the American holiday.



She has many costumes. 


I have to say these two are my favorites:

WHY IS SHE WEARING A SEXY CAT SUIT? 
What is this, Mean Girls?

I think she likes Halloween so much because she cannot stop dressing up.

These kind of freak me out a little.

She has also dressed up as a snowcat:


And on Easter, she dresses up as a bunny:


Raising the eternal question: what is the difference between Hello Kitty dressed up as a bunny and My Melody on Xanax?

Why is My Melody so sad??

 Better. I'm totally going as My Melody this year for Halloween.

5 comments:

  1. Firstly, I did not know that Hello Kitty lives in London--fascinating!
    Secondly, the aesthetic of My Melody reminds me of a block puzzle I used to have, which may have been Sanrio but was definitely not part of the Hello Kitty family. Now I'm curious to figure out what that was.
    Finally, a question: does My Melody wear a bonnet, or are those fake ears tied on to her head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, could you be thinking of Dick Bruna's Miffy (Nintje in Dutch)? http://www.miffy.com/

    My Melody is a bunny who wears a bonnet. Wikipedia tells me it started as a red riding hood homage, but then just became her bonnet (and is often pink). I have never seen her take it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite possibly! I think it came in a carrying case like this:

    http://www.babylonpuzzles.com/en/7207-6-pcs---miffy---block-puzzles-by-ravensburger.html

    Do you have any Miffy stickers in your collection?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not. I have never seen any--either here or in the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just looked on ebay, and Miffy stickers do seem to exist, but only in a very specific form: as wall art or car window stickers. Maybe the Dutch take a more practical approach to sticker collecting?

    ReplyDelete