Monday, October 17, 2011

The digital age

When Steve Jobs passed away, and everyone began to pay tribute to him on Facebook, I wondered if I had a sticker that would honor his memory in some way. Unfortunately, and with no disrespect intended, this is the closest I can come:


In point of fact, this in no way honors the memory of Steve Jobs himself. Instead it honors Olivia Newton-John. And...really big calculators. Oh, and leg warmers.

Which, actually, I wish were still around because it's October and getting chilly.

But I digress. I think the "let's get digital" sticker is really all about the dawn of the computer age. With that awesome, Wargames font and a desktop computer that needs to lose some serious weight, it's a sign of the birth of an era: in 1983, people (even Hallmark shoppers!) were ready--excited, yet--to get digital. And the rest is history... from playing Lemonade to blogging on my laptop, it has been an amazing 30 years.

You can and should read the text of Steve Jobs's beautiful 2005 Stanford commencement address here.

No comments:

Post a Comment