Friday, October 21, 2011

What the eighties mean to me

Anyone who gets the title of this post without Googling it gets a sticker!

Anywho, when perusing my old sticker collection I realized that there are certain stickers that have a kind of retro cachet (like rainbows, unicorns, and Strawberry Shortcake) and then there are those that stay stuck in the 1980s. There are just certain things that we all liked in the 1980s that seem unlikely ever to be revived. A short list:

1. Mimes. I went as a mime for Halloween twice, in 1985 and 1987. I was very into the face makeup.

This was my "favorite sticker" for a while. I think I was impressed that it was made in France (but purchased in Quebec on a family vacation):
Now I look at it and think, supermodel posing for Summer's Eve print ad.

2. Teddy Bears dressed up like humans and photographed. This was actually a thing for a while, but I haven't seen it in years.

Jogging, naturally.


3. Dressing up like punks. Again, me, Halloween: 1984. Better of course if you can get teddy bears to dress up like punks and photograph them. 
Or whatever.

4. Junk food as art form, for junk food's sake. This was clearly before the obesity epidemic. It was before cholesterol became a household word. It was the era of McDonald's ads supporting the 1984 Olympics on TV, Webster as the spokesperson for Burger King, and ...
worrying not just about Star Wars but Junk Food Wars.


This sticker is an airbrushed image of a double bacon cheeseburger. Let's just think about that for a minute.

Nobody combined junk foods like Lisa Frank. What could possibly improve an airbrushed bacon double cheeseburger?

Only airbrushed layer cake, teddy bears, and ice cream, that's what.

Don't forget the unicorn on top!



1 comment:

  1. I remember the Lisa Frank junk food stack! I do not, however, know the source of this post's title.

    ReplyDelete