Saturday, February 4, 2012

Product Placement

For many years when I was growing up, my sister and I weren't technically allowed to watch commercial television. Except that we did; I got to watch Captain Kangaroo, and by the time I was seven or eight, we had cable and my mom had given up trying to prevent us from watching tv. 

But when I was very young, I was impressionable, and  now that I think about it, there was some seriously aggressive marketing going on. Would you let your preschooler watch tv when this is what she saw during the breaks?  Crazy Cow cereal. Rub-a-dub dollyCoke. Weebles Treehouse. Holy crap, I needed these products! Coke could bring world peace, change your day for the better--and why wasn't I allowed to drink out of a bottle, anyway?!

Product placement, specifically targeted towards children, seems to have continued into my sticker collection, but by the 1980s I was a little bit less impressionable.


Why Burger King is pointing at his wrist when he isn't wearing a watch is beyond me. Is he trying to tell us it's "time" to go to Burger King? Or is this something infinitely more perverse?
I do remember consuming a lot of Bubble Yum and Whopper, Jrs. in middle school though. Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment